Thursday, March 11, 2021

What Are Your Favorite Apps?

RIP
 Last week my cellphone lost its mind. I know it doesn't really have a mind, but there were days when it seemed it did. Like the day I could see the Verrazano Bridge but I had no idea how to get to it since I was caught in a maze of one-way streets. My cellphone guided me directly to the bridge with its calm, robotic voice. I was ever so grateful.

But over the past year, my phone kept insisting it didn't have enough memory. I deleted many of my beloved apps, but it continued to complain. Then last week, after more than three years of faithful service, it kept spitting out error messages. I could get on Facebook, but not Google. I could not send or receive text messages. It was very distressing. 

I went to the store and bought a new cellphone--an Android, because I am frugal and a klutz. So, if I step into the bay one day and the phone falls in the water, I won't be too heartbroken.

The new cellphone is great and has lots of memory. It came with a whole ton of games I will never use. I deleted all of them. I have no idea why the phone came with so much junk, but at least I was able to get rid of it. 

The best thing is that I was able to return to all my beloved apps that I had to delete from the old phone. I have Pandora once again, which is absolutely perfect to help me dust. I hate dusting, but I can do it with my favorite music urging me on. I had all my favorite station on Pandora--music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. I loved country from the 80s, Catholic hymns from the St. Louis Jesuits, Cat Stevens, Mozart, Beethoven, and a whole lot more.

I have Flickr, where I can look at fantastic photos. I have Pinterest, where I can find crochet patterns, recipes, and historical details for my historical characters. 

Of course, I have Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. But I also have NPR, which is absolutely the best place for news as well as our local newspaper, the Asbury Park Press. 

I also have the Kindle app on my phone, but I don't have any games. 

Maybe you do. What are your favorite apps? 

No comments: