Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Guest Post: CHARLOTTE MASTERSON GETS A LIFE by Carol Raj

My guest today is Carol Raj. She was born and bred in Illinois, went to college in Minnesota, and lived in both New York City and Boston before settling in New Hampshire. After forty-years, she and her husband moved to Georgia to be near family. They have been blessed with three successful children and six grandchildren. After publishing several stories for children, she published The Curious Prayer Life of Muriel Smith, a woman’s contemporary novel. Charlotte Masterson Gets A Life is her second novel and her first YA. 

Here's the blurb for the book:

 

 High school sophomore Charlotte Masterson isn't smart enough to be a nerd, musical enough to be a band geek, or pretty enough to be popular. But when the handsome quarterback unexpectedly asks her out, she becomes part of the in crowd. It's every girl's dream come true.

Too bad she still has to depend on good old Rodney, teachers' pet, for rides. Too bad her mother is so unreasonably strict. A ten PM curfew? Just because she lied? It's not fair.

But maybe there's more to other people than Charlotte realizes. And maybe she doesn't even know everything about herself. When Charlotte Masterson gets a life, life gets interesting.


💕💕💕






Now for the best part--
an excerpt!

“It’s your own fault, Charlotte.” Mom’s digging wet clothes out of the washing machine.

My fault? How can she possibly think that?

Mom continues. “We had simple rules, and you didn’t follow them. You not only didn’t follow them; you lied to us. That’s what I hate most of all. The lying. How can I ever trust you again?”

“But Mom…”

“There’s no but Mom.” She throws the clothes into the dryer like she’s pitching fastballs.

I understand that lying’s wrong. I didn’t like that Rodney lied to me about band practice. But when it comes to my mother, lying is the easiest way to avoid conflict.

“But Mom, Saturday night there’s a party for the football team. It doesn’t even start until eight. How can I be home by ten?”

“You should have thought of that before you broke the rules.” She slams the dryer door shut.

“But all the football players will be there. All the cheerleaders. All the cool kids.”

“So you’re a cool kid now?” Mom stares at me.

As long as I’m dating Tony, I’m in the cool crowd. I shrug.

“Will there be beer at this party?” Mom pushes the dryer’s start button. 

The clothes start going round and round just like my thoughts. How can I answer that question? If I say yes, I’ll be grounded. If I say no, I’ll be lying. I’m almost certain there’ll be beer. “If there is, I won’t drink any. I promise.”

“So there might be beer? Is that what you’re telling me? There might be beer at a party for underage teens?”

“Maybe. I don’t know. Nobody discussed the eating and drinking arrangements with me.”

I should not have said that. Not in that tone of voice. But it’s too late to take it back.


💕💕💕


You can learn more about Carol at her website https://carolraj.com

Her book is available at:


 




 

 







5 comments:

Carol James said...

Congratulations, Carol. I loved the premise of the story and the excerpt.

Gail Pallotta said...

Congratulations on your new book. I enjoyed your excerpt.

Penelope Marzec said...

I downloaded the book last night and I’m enjoying it. Great job, Carol.

Karen Malley said...

It sounds like a fun story. I enjoyed reading the excerpt!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Sounds like another great read, Carol!
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT