Friday, April 18, 2014

Amazon Graphs

Every morning, while I am drinking my coffee, I check my Amazon stats. This is what my author rank graph looks like on Amazon, comparing my sales with all the other authors for all the books on Amazon. I can look at graphs for categories, too, comparing my books with all Kindle Romance books, or all print romance books. There are also graphs for each of my individual books.

For instance, below is part of the graph for Daddy Wanted.

Most of my books are sold at Amazon. Barnes & Noble does not sell as many. The other distributors sell far fewer. While other distributors report how many books were sold or list a rank number, only Amazon offers these graphs for authors--for free.

When the line shoots upward, I smile. When the line goes down, I shrug. It's not easy to sell books. Readers have a wide variety of choices. But for all the readers who have chosen to buy my books I'd like to offer a big THANKS. There are many mornings you made me smile. :-)

4 comments:

Victoria Pitts-Caine said...

Penelope - I know exactly what you mean. I'm a little more addicted to looking at mine more than once a day but days with smiles are good.

Penelope Marzec said...

Victoria:

I will admit that I checked it more than once when Daddy Wanted was soaring to the top of the chart, but usually once a day is good. :-)

Sharon McGregor said...

When I look too often I need to send out for more chocolate. I get so excited when my book shoots up suddenly but hate the crash when it slips down just as quickly-maybe even a couple of hours later.

Penelope Marzec said...

Sharon:

Yes, it is disappointing when the line falls. However, the best thing to do is write another book! :-)