Friday, February 25, 2011

Authors' Houses

I like to visit old houses. It's a real treat for me to tour the homes of famous authors. Several years ago, I visited Harriet Beecher Stowe's house in Hartford, Connecticut. It was modest and comfortable. Mark Twain's grand home is next door and it is where he was most productive. Yet, I've seen pictures of the birthplace of Samuel Clemens and that was a two-room cabin.

Here's Louisa May Alcott's family home. I'd love to go there. It is not at all what I envisioned when I first read Little Women.

Here's Edith Wharton's home. She designed it. This is not the type of home I thought the writer of Ethan Frome would have.

Here's Stephen Crane's house. I went there one evening to see an Poe impersonator. It was a Halloween event. Go figure.

Here's Edgar Allen Poe's house in Baltimore. Hubby and I visited it a few years ago. It's really small.

I've visited the House of the Seven Gables in Salem, Massachusetts. I have not visited any southern writers' homes, but I might.

Any ideas for me?

2 comments:

MAD said...

Hello !
Here is a petition to save the Poe House & Museum because the City of Baltimore has cut funding to it last summer :
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/save-the-poe-house-and-museum-in-baltimore/
Thank you!

Rochelle French said...

I went to Nathaniel Hawthorne's house once, and Virginia Wolff's house in England. A friend who lived in that house during childhood took me. A trip to England might not be as easy as heading over to Salem to see Hawthorne's House of the Seven Gables.