Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Irish Soda Bread

I love St. Patrick's Day. I love corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots all boiled together in one pot--and not just because it's easy. :^) As a writer, I love quick and easy meals, but I am fussy. The food has to taste good.

I always serve my corned beef with Irish Soda Bread. I especially love soda bread fresh from the oven and slathered with butter.

At an Irish festival many, many years ago I got this recipe from two, sweet Irish ladies--so you know it's genuine. Try it. It is so easy and much, much better than anything you can buy in the store.

Irish Soda Bread



4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup raisins
1 tablespoon caraway seeds

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients together. Rub in butter with fingers. Make a well in center and add enough buttermilk to make a soft but firm dough. Knead on a floured surface for 2 to 3 minutes until dough is smooth. Form into a round loaf. Cut a deep cross in the center of the loaf.
Put into a cake tin that has been sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.
Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes.
YUM!



4 comments:

K. said...

Last year a lady at work baked some of this and brought it in to share. Boy, was it delicious!

Carina said...

I looooooooooove your soda bread, Mom!!!!!!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Sounds delicious!
thanks for the recipe, although I doubt I'll be baking anytime soon LOL!
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Penelope Marzec said...

Pamela,

Baking is fun! I hope you’ll give it a try sometime.