Thursday, February 20, 2020

Deep in the Pine Barrens

Deep in the Pine Barrens
I finished writing Home Somewhere. I spent an inordinate amount of time fussing about the title and even asked friends on Facebook to help me. In the end, I decided to stick with the original idea. Now I have to write a blurb and a synopsis. Then I'll send it out and see if anyone wants to publish it.

It took me a longer than usual to complete this story. At one point, I went for a critique to help me fix the plot, which was going off in too many directions. In addition, I had plans to reissue Sea of Hope and Heaven's Blue, which I did but that was time away from writing. I also wrote Clear as Ice, my Christmas novella.

And, of course, life--as always--provided more distractions for me. But the book is complete with a beginning, a middle that doesn't sag, and an ending.

Part of the story is set in New York City and part of it is set in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. Many people who do not live in New Jersey see only the Turnpike as they are passing through the state, which is unfortunate. New Jersey is more than beautiful beaches and oil refineries. The Pine Barrens is unique and important to the ecosystem. A large area of the Pinelands is protected. You can read about that HERE.

I've camped in the Pine Barrens and gone to the annual Cranberry Festival. I went swimming in the cedar water. I've heard the screech of the Jersey Devil. (Well, I think it was him.) So, I decided to include the Pine Barrens in Home Somewhere. 

At any rate, I am really happy I got to the end of the story. I hope I don't spend an inordinate amount of time wrangling with the blurb.
💕😊💕

No comments: