Thursday, September 26, 2019

Filet Crochet Prayer Square Cross


I enjoy making prayer squares. They are small and I can easily carry them anywhere with me. I pray for the recipient of the square while I work. Our prayer shawl ministry usually hands out bunches of these during the Christmas bazaar at our church.

I have many different patterns but I decided it would be nice to try one in a filet crochet pattern. However, I couldn't find the sort of pattern I wanted. So I made up my own. It may not be written in proper crochet lingo, but it's free for anyone who wants it. Have fun!

FILET CROCHET PRAYER SQUARE CROSS

Using a number 11 crochet hook (you can use a larger hook but the square will be larger), and crochet cotton thread size 10, chain 31.

Row 1: Dc in 7th chain from the hook. (This makes your first square.) Ch 1. Skip 1 space. Dc in next chain. Ch 1. Repeat until you get to the original ch 7 box, dc in the 2nd chain from the hook. You should have a total of 13 boxes. At the end of the row, ch 4 and turn.

Row 2: DC at top of the first Dc. *Ch 1. Skip one ch. Dc in next dc.* Repeat that to the end of the row, where again you dc in the 2nd chain from the hook. You now have two rows of 13 boxes each. Chain 4, turn.

Rows 3 to 9: For the next 7 rows *dc in the top of the dc, chain 1, skip one space, dc in next dc* 4 times. Then dc in the next 7 stitches. From there ch1, dc 4 times, until the last loop where you dc in the 2nd ch from the hook. Ch 4 and turn.

Rows: 10 to 12: For the next 3 rows, dc in the top of the dc, chain 1, skip 1, dc in next dc. (Two empty boxes) Then dc in 19 stitches. Ch1, sk1, dc, ch1, dc in 2nd ch from hook.

Rows 13 to 15: The following 3 rows are exactly like the rows 3 through 9.

Rows 16 to 17: The last two rows are the same as the first two rows.

To finish, single crochet all around the edge.

For the final picot row: Ch 5, slip stitch in 3rd ch, ch 2, skip 2 chains, slip stitch in the next. Repeat all around. Finish off.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is BEAUTIFUL! Although I have crocheted for several years, I am a basic crocheter, mainly granny squares, chain and DC, TC, & very recently learned C2C. One of our best friends is a minister & for Christmas I'd love to make him a small "afghan" for him to carry in his car, maybe to cover his car seat. I'd love to make it in C2C with a cross & his name. Do you offer advise on how to make things or know of someone who does?Being on disability, I cannot afford to pay for patterns and that seems tobe all I can find.

Penelope Marzec said...

I find many patterns for free online. I usually browse through Pinterest, or search in Google. With filet crochet, you can use ordinary graph paper to figure out a pattern for a name. You could use graph paper to figure out a pattern for a name in C2C, too. For instance, I found this : https://ahandmadeyear.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/crochet-graph-pattern-making-tutorial/

Good luck!