Friday, February 27, 2015

I Finished the JeRoWriMo Challenge


Last night, I soared over the finish line, typing past the 30,000 word mark in my current work-in-progress.  I didn't get to the end of the story--and I still haven't decided upon the title for this book, but logging in 30,000 words during the month of February was a daunting task.

Nevertheless, I had fun. This is the third time I've tried the challenge. I finished PATRIOT'S HEART and PATRIOT'S PRIDE with the challenges in 2013 and 2014. Nancy Herkness is the head cheerleader and truly encourages everyone in our group.

The idea with a challenge like this is to silence the inner editor--that annoying part of the brain that wants to quibble over syntax. My book is a rough draft--and I know it. It will need to be revised, but it's hard to fix an empty page of paper.

Many people avail themselves of NaNoWriMo challenge in November--a 50,000 word challenge. I've never tried it because November is a busy month with Thanksgiving and Christmas preparations.  I find February fits in better with my schedule. Not only that, but since I am a member of the New Jersey Romance Writers, I know all the other members in the group.

Writing is a solitary endeavor, but with a challenge like JeRoWriMo it doesn't feel that way.






No comments: