Friday, January 03, 2014

My Grandfather, The Milkman


My paternal grandfather was a milkman in Jersey City. In the photo above, he's the second man from the left with the cap on his head. He supported his family--three sons and a wife--with his wages. The job was difficult due to the hours because my grandfather delivered the milk in the wee hours of the morning. However, his family got plenty of milk, eggs, and other dairy products as a bonus, which was a good deal during the Depression.

My father sometimes went along with my grandfather. Dad said the horse knew the route. The horse would stop in front of the correct houses all the time.

Eventually, trucks replaced the horses but my grandfather continued to deliver milk until he retired. He owned a two-family house and a car. Being a milkman provided him and his family with a good life.

No comments: