Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Conquering the Giant Slide

Hubby and Daughter #1 enjoying the ride.
Me clutching Daughter #2.
Many, many years ago, there was a Giant Slide at the Keansburg Amusement Park. It was huge--very tall and very wide. I haven't seen any other dry slide in the area quite that big. Eventually, it was taken down, but we got to enjoy it for a little while while our daughters were young.

At first, I was terrified getting onto that slide. Gravity pulled me down faster as I neared the bottom and on the last few hills, I was actually airborne.  Hubby loved it, but he likes roller coasters, too. However, after a few successful runs, I became used to the Giant Slide. I conquered my fear and learned to enjoy the ride.

I could make up analogies comparing the Giant Slide to life or to writing--but I won't. The ride was exhilarating once I figured out I wouldn't get hurt. I felt stronger for having overcome my apprehension.

But I still refuse to go on a roller coaster.

How about you? What amusement rides terrify you?




2 comments:

MarkD60 said...

I'd like it. I think I went down one as a kid but I'm not sure. Maybe my parents wouldn't let me.

Penelope Marzec said...

Mark,

I bet you would have a great time on a giant slide. :-)