Saturday, September 17, 2005

Fresh Scallops

Daughter #1 came home from the second leg of her research cruise with a few pounds of fresh ocean scallops. That is one of the perks of being a marine researcher. I cooked the scallops tonight for supper using my favorite recipe. Here it is:

Put 1/2 cup flour in a plastic bag, add 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs (I use no-salt crumbs), and a 1/2 teaspoon of hot Hungarian paprika. Shake this mixture well, then toss the scallops into the plastic bag, a few at a time, and give them a shake. Arrange the scallops in a single layer in a pan. Melt 1/4 cup of butter (I also use unsalted butter) and pour over the scallops. Pour the juice of one lemon over the scallops.

Place the scallops in the broiler and broil until they are turn lightly brown. Then turn them over and broil them on the other side. Be careful not to overcook them or they will get tough.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

Hey, I just found a good use for the e-mail option. E-mailed it to myself. :)

Kelley said...

this sounds yummy Penny! I love scallops. One of my favorite kinds of seafood. One question though. You say broil until slightly brown. about how log does that ake? If I go by "slightly browned" I'll probably overcook them. LOL

Penelope Marzec said...

It does not take long in the broiler--five to ten minutes per side, depending upon whether you have bay scallops or ocean scallops. You've got to watch them carefully.

Leann said...

It sounds yummy. I sometimes wish I ate seafood.

Kelley said...

Thanks Penny! I'm notoriously bad at cooking so I knew I'd ruin them if I hadn't asked. LOL

Live, Love, Laugh said...

wow that sounds so good!