Monday, January 13, 2014

No Grape Jelly


I like red raspberry jam, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, marmalade, apricot, peach, or even elderberry jam, but I won't eat grape jelly. I like grapes. I like wine. However, just the thought of grape jelly is unappetizing to me. 

When I was a kid, I got peanut butter and jelly sandwiches nearly every day. The jelly was always grape, because it was the least expensive. The bread was always white bread--because back in the dark ages of the 1950s that's the only kind of bread there was--no whole wheat. I did not have a nice insulated lunch bag because those had not been invented yet. I had a brown paper bag. I carried my books in my arm (no backpacks either yet). The brown bag sat on top of the books and was often crushed against my chest. By lunchtime, the grape jelly had oozed through the white bread, which was now flattened. My sandwich looked like it had a horrible bruise. 

I didn't like it, but I ate it anyhow. I liked peanut butter and I still do. 

Once I was all grown up, I never bought grape jelly. Ever. My children had plenty of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches--except I always made them with jam not jelly. I never bought grape jelly for my daughters.  

I enjoy a peanut butter and jam sandwich once a week or so, but I use whole wheat bread--never white. 

Do you have any particular aversions to food you had to eat when you where young? 

No comments: