Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Some Old Technology Still Works


I decided to attempt to get rid of a box in the garage and at the bottom of the box, I found this. Our old CB set. I went out to the car to plug it in and see if it works. It does. I heard some garbled speaking on a couple channels, but nothing clear. 

Hubby and I never used the CB much at all, but my Mom and Dad had one and used it frequently on their trips out to Pennsylvania to see my grandparents. Mom told the truckers to clean up their language and they laughed at her. 

But I was very glad I had the CB with me one time when I drove down to Stockton to pick up my daughter and bring her home for the weekend. As we drove toward home on the Garden State Parkway, we wound up in a traffic jam where the traffic wasn’t moving at all. I set up the CB and found someone who knew exactly what was happening. There had been a horrific accident and the traffic was stopped so helicopters could land on the Parkway and take the injured to the hospital. 

We sat in the car, not going anywhere for a long, long time and listening to the CB. I didn’t have a cell phone at that time. I wish I did because I could have called hubby and told him why we would be very late getting home. 

I am going to keep the CB just in case I get stuck in another traffic jam.

 

No comments: