Friday, June 05, 2015

The Golden Nugget of Truth in Every Romance


It has been brought to my attention that some people think I know nothing about relationships because I am a romance writer.

What?

Yes, they think I live in a fantasy world. Obviously, they have never really read my books--or any other romances. While romances always have happy endings, there is a golden nugget of truth in every romance. In every story in the genre, the hero and heroine come to trust each other.

Without trust, there cannot be a successful relationship.

While it is true that I do not have a degree in counseling, I've been in a relationship for nearly thirty-nine years. My parents were together for sixty-two years until my mother passed away. My in-laws were married for seventy-one years until my father-in-law passed away. I have friends who have been married just as long as I have--or longer.

I also know couples whose marriages did not work out, but in each of those particular cases there was a fundamental flaw in at least one of the partners. And most often, the difficulty was a failure of trust. One of the partners was simply not reliable in some way.

You cannot have love without trust. Lust is not a barometer for a long-lasting relationship. Trust is the  most important factor.

Marriage has never been a bed of roses. It takes work. Couples argue--and that's okay if they forgive each other as well. Life is full of difficulties and as soon as a couple conquers one problem, there will be another to take its place. A reliable, considerate, understanding, and helpful partner can share the load. That makes all the difference.

That is love.






No comments: