Friday, February 22, 2013

I Wrote Myself into a Corner!

The New Jersey Romance Writers' #JeRoWriMo Challenge has been great! In three weeks I have pumped out a total of 23,193 words. Everything was moving along so well until two days ago when I realized I had written myself into a corner--and there was no easy way out. :^(

What to do?

There's plenty of advice online, but I found Ken Levine's suggestions useful for me. I went back, added a scene and put a note in the beginning of the story where I need to add information when I return to edit the rough draft.

The most important thing to remember is that what I have IS a rough draft. I will have to layer in more emotion, more sensory detail, and take out redundant phrases along with tired old words the second time around.

Nevertheless, I am happy with what has been happening in the story. It has been fun! I think I'll try the writing challenge next year, too.

4 comments:

MarkD60 said...

I had a student in my scuba class who had himself written into a corner. He had a scuba diver, 200 feet underwater in a cave, and he had lost all his scuba gear and was holding his breath. Dave didn't know how he was going to get the diver outta there. Read "Down To A Sunless Sea", by David Poyer and find out how he got out.

I love your blog, but this will be my last comment unless you turn off word verification.
http://markd60.com/blog/?p=9313

Penelope Marzec said...

Mark,

I am sorry about the word verification, but the spamming trolls drove me crazy.

You can always make comments on my Facebook page, because whatever I post here is also posted there. :^)

Dottie Taylor said...

Hi Penelope!

I participate in NaNoWriMo every year, and for the past couple, the Ruby Slippered Sisterhood, which holds a similar writing challenge. It's fun, but with NaNoWriMo, you have to work your tail off! And then the editing kicks in... two more months of work... LOL. Thanks for a few tips though, I think it will all come in handy.

Dottie :)

Penelope Marzec said...

Dottie,

I've never tried NaNoWriMo. 50,000 words in one month is just too much--especially since it's in November.

JeRoWriMom--at 30,000 words--is manageable.