Thursday, December 26, 2019

Do You Write During the Holidays?


As the sun set on December 21, the shortest day of the year, I took this photo in a nearby park. Fewer hours of daylight can be depressing for some, but I've always enjoyed sitting quietly in the evening and writing, which I can easily do as long as there is electricity. I've written without electricity, too.  See that post HERE. 

However, the Christmas season involves a great deal of energy--cleaning, decorating, singing Christmas carols, buying gifts, wrapping gifts, cooking, and baking. In all that flurry of activity, there's little time to summon up my muse and write so I don't even try. There are those who insist every writer must write every day. But I believe there can be extenuating circumstances, and I count Christmas as one of those times when it's better to give my full attention to things other than writing. Once the holidays are over, I return to my regular routine and write every day while allowing the dust bunnies to multiply.

How about you? Do you think a writer must write everyday without exception? Do you write during the holidays? If so, how do you manage with everything else that needs to be done at Christmas?



No comments: