Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Cure for Homesickness

I'm a homebody. Though I have traveled here and there over the years, I invariably get homesick during the course of any journey. Lately, leaving my elderly father causes me considerably anxiety. However, I have discovered that my cellphone offered an antidote for my malady. For me, social media has alleviated a great deal of my apprehension.

I spent time texting and posting this past week while we were in Florida preparing to relocate my mother-in-law to NJ. I called my father everyday. I chatted with Daughter #2 and #3. Daughter #1 sent photos of my father and we sent text messages back and forth. Friends responded to my posts on Facebook.

The distance between me and NJ did not feel like an impossible chasm. Though I was 1,100 miles away, I was always in touch. While there are those who abhor social media, I think it's terrific. There are many who find it refreshing to get away from technology, I know I would suffer agonizing withdrawal if I turned off my cellphone.

How about you? Can you leave everything behind without any worries? Or is your cellphone your lifeline?

2 comments:

MarkD60 said...

I agree, the internet and webcams make it easier to stay in touch.

Penelope Marzec said...

Mark:

It is so much easier, and safer. Back in the old days, if the car died on the side of the road, it meant a long walk to a pay phone.

So much better to have a cellphone at hand. :-)