Saturday, March 01, 2014

Blueberry Torte


Yesterday, I wrote 3,225 words and got to the end of my story. In the month of February, I wrote 33,863 words, which is a record for me. There will be a lot of editing on the manuscript. It is a rough draft and will require hours and hours of concentration to get it right.

While I was writing this past month, I ignored the dust bunnies in the house and several other chores. My family got used to leftovers--and nothing gourmet appeared on the table, though I love to try new recipes all the time. However, I had saved one, a cranberry torte. The problem with the recipe was finding fresh or frozen cranberries. I looked in several stores. So I decided to try blueberries.

This morning I wanted to celebrate my incredible word count by making a blueberry torte--instead of writing.

Here's the recipe. It makes one nine-inch cake.

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9-inch springform pan.

Cream together the butter and the sugar until fluffy. Mix in the eggs and then the almond extract. Add the flour and baking powder. Beat until combined. Spread the batter in the pan.

Arrange the blueberries on top on the batter in a single layer. Then sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Bake the cake for 55 minutes. (Your oven may take less time.) The top should be golden brown and if you put a toothpick in the center it should come out clean.

Let the pan cool. Use a knife to loosen the edges of the cake from the pan before unbuckling and removing the ring.

This is delicious. Try it and enjoy. :-)


No comments: