Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Our Changing Society

I teach in a pre-k class. Most of the kiddies in my class are already five and they will all be going to kindergarten in the fall. Five is a wonderful age.

Today I read them a book titled OWEN, a Caldercott Honor book, it was written by Kevin Henkes. It's a cute story about Owen who has a blanket named Fuzzy which he refuses to give up. Finally, with kindergarten approaching, Owen's mother gets the bright idea of cutting up the blanket and stitching it into handkerchiefs.

At that point in the story, the kids all looked up at me and asked, "What's a handkerchief?"

I wish I had brought one in to show them. However, I suggested that perhaps their grandfather might carry one in his pocket. A few of the kids nodded with understanding. One of them said her grandmother carried a handkerchief.

Times have changed. Everyone uses tissues nowadays. I still have a few dainty, embroidered handkerchiefs tucked in my drawer--one of which I carried with me, tucked underneath the bouquet, on the day I was married.

Next time I read that story, I guess have to bring in a handkerchief. Such a simple thing, but it's becoming obsolete in a society where everything is disposable.

5 comments:

Leann said...

It is indeed unfortunate that we are losing so much of the past. And we don't even think of it until something as simple as a story reminds us.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Leeann. My husband and I were discussing this the other day. It's a shame. My husband said that we are the last of the boomers.

I think we are fortunate to still have the experience of what life used to be and still be young enough to accept the changes.

I remember the first time my children watched "It's a Wonderful Life" it was the B/W version and the movie could not hold their interest. I made them sit and "listen" it worked because they will not watch the colorized version. LOL

My point - some things should be left alone so the importance and value of it can be carried onto the next generation but Penelope said it, "Everything is disposable."

Penelope Marzec said...

I remember the first time my daughters saw a black and white television. They wondered what was wrong with it. :^)

Live, Love, Laugh said...

You are so right, we don't realize how the past is slipping away without even noticing it. I remember my mom had hankies with her intials embroidered on it. I used to think one day I would have some of my own, I had forgotten all about them until I read your post.

Unknown said...

Many thanks for the kind words on my blog. I much enjoyed your blog, too! Best of luck with your writing and congrats on the Eppies (I'm a member of EPIC as well).
Howard